The Eastern Fort, also called Sultan Fort, lies at the eastern edge of Al Ain Oasis and once lay at the heart of the former village or Hara of Al Ain, also called Haret Al Hisn. The fort is one of a number of historic buildings associated with the rising influence of the ruling Al Nahyan family in Ain from the end of the 19th century. It was built around 1910 by Sheikh Sultan bin Zayed (r. 1922-1926), who resided there prior to becoming ruler of Abu Dhabi.
The water supplying the oasis comes from wells, as well as from the ancient falaj system, which taps distant underground or mountain aquifers, and then delivers the water, sometimes over many kilometres, to farms via a system of ground-level and below-ground aqueducts.
There are two main falaj systems serving the oasis – Al Aini and Dawood. They provide water to two separate parts of the oasis and both come from the southeast, the direction of the Hajar Mountains and nearby Jebel Hafeet mountain.
Once inside the oasis, the water is distributed through an intricate network of channels. The distribution is strictly enforced and is implemented by blocking channels in a manner that direct water to the required area.
While elsewhere in Al Ain, the ground is mostly sand and gravel, in the oasis, a wash flowing from Jebel Hafeet mountain has deposited a thick layer of fine silt and clays that are suitable for farming.
There is an interpretive EcoCentre and other tourist facilities at the western entrance to the oasis.