back
Historic Landmarks

Overview

Timeline

Gallery

Did You Know

Location Details

Featured Articles

Symbol of Power

LISTEN TO THIS PAGE
One of the largest forts in the UAE, Al Jahili reflects the importance of Al Ain to Abu Dhabi’s ruling family and the nation’s history
Al Jahili Fort, one of the largest forts in the United Arab Emirates, was built in the late 19th century by Sheikh Zayed bin Khalifa the First (r. 1855-1909), both as a symbol of power and as a royal summer residence. The original fort consisted of a square fortified enclosure and a distinctive four-storey circular tower.
SAID8579

History

At the end of the 19th century, the Emirate of Abu Dhabi was ruled by Sheikh Zayed bin Khalifa, leader of the Bani Yas tribe and head of the Al Falah family. During summer, Abu Dhabi’s rulers left the intense humidity of the coast for the more temperate weather of Al Ain, with its low humidity, fertile land and fresh water. 
Sheikh Zayed owned a farm in Al Ain, and he ordered construction of Al Jahili Fort to control the tribes who lived in the area. He also would use the fort as his summer residence. Work on the fort began in 1891 but it was not completed until 1898. 
When Sheikh Zayed died, his eldest son, Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed died, chose not to become ruler of Abu Dhabi and instead remained in Al Ain. He lived in the fort with his family. Al Jahili’s history over the next 30 years is unclear, but at some point, the fort was abandoned and fell into disrepair. 
In the early 1950s, British forces came to Al Ain and incorporated the fort into a larger enclosure that formed their regional headquarters. Barracks and other buildings were added to the compound. This military use of the tower continued until around 1970.
In 1985, early restoration work was done on the fort, while in 2007-2008, the fort underwent a major rehabilitation project. A visitor information centre, permanent exhibition space devoted to the explorer and photograph Wilfred Thesiger, and a temporary exhibition space were added.
 

Fort Structure

The original components of Al Jahili Fort include a square high-walled fort and a separate round tower composed of four consecutively rising and narrowing concentric tiers. Today, the fort has cylindrical towers at three of its corners, while in the fourth is the sheikh’s majlis, or reception area, where he entertained guests and conducted official business. 
The inscription over the main entrance reads:

A door of goodness is opened in glory’s chapter,
Where joy and happiness with high glory reside,
The blessings of honour said “Mark this house,
A house of high standing built by Zayed bin Khalifa.”

Timeline

1891 - 2008

1891

Sheikh Zayed bin Khalifa the First orders construction on Al Jahili Fort to begin.

1891

1898

Construction is completed on the fort, which is built to control tribes living in the Al Ain area and to provide Sheikh Zayed bin Khalifa with a summer residence.

1898

1909

Sheikh Zayed bin Khalifa dies. His eldest son, Sheikh Khalifa, does not become ruler of Abu Dhabi, but instead remains in Al Ain. He and members of his family live in the fort.

1909

1940s

The fort is abandoned and falls into disrepair.

1940s

Early 1950s

British forces come to Al Ain and incorporate the fort into a larger enclosure that serves as their regional headquarters.

Early 1950s

1970

Military use of the fort ends. 

1970

1985

Restoration is implemented on the fort.

1985

2007-2008


An ambitious rehabilitation project is completed, adding an information centre and two exhibit halls.

2007-2008

|

Did You Know?

Like other forts in Al Ain, Al Jahili Fort was built of sun-dried mud brick.

Location Details

address

Sultan Bin Zayed Al Awwal St، Al Mutawaa،
Al Ain - Abu Dhabi

Open hours

Daily 9AM - 5PM 

contact information

Postcard

Craft a postcard to send to a friend or family member, online or through the post.

Select an image

SELECT AN IMAGE

Write note

WRITE A NOTE

Email

ENTER EMAIL/ POSTAL ADDRESS

Send A postcard

HAVE YOUR SAY