The Youth Orchestra is a brand new platform for young musicians in the capital to express their musical talent, through educational programmes, rehearsals and concerts throughout the year.
The Department of Culture and Tourism - Abu Dhabi is collaborating with the International Music Institute one of the oldest institutes in the country, founded in 1994 to organise a programme open to all music students in the United Arab Emirates. Students will be selected via an audition process.
The selected students will become members of the Youth Orchestra and will join a programme consisting of free weekly rehearsals and workshops hosted by highly qualified instructors. In addition, students will have the opportunity to perform at concerts in prestigious venues. The first round of auditions opened in May 2022. Further auditions will be held in September and November to select more students to join the orchestra and the choir. Four performances of the Youth Orchestra are scheduled for 2022, with the opening event happening on June 28 at 6pm at the Cultural Foundation Auditorium. The concert will feature a mix of solo and orchestral music from the baroque/classical period, played by the junior and senior musicians of the Youth Orchestra.
Time: 6 pm
Venue: Cultural Foundation Auditorium, Abu Dhabi
To register your interest, click here.
1) National Anthem of the United Arab Emirates (orchestra and piano)
2) Bach: Piano Concerto No. 1 in D minor (first movement), soloist Amira Abudeen (11 years old) - 10 minutes
3) Mozart: Eine Kleine Nachtmusik - 24 minutes
4) Vivaldi: Violin Concerto (The Spring), first movement, soloist Yuexuan Li (11 years old) - 4 minutes
5) Paganini: Cantabile for violin and orchestra, soloist Yuexuan Li (11 years old) - 4 minutes
6) Bach: Air on the G string, arrangement for saxophone and orchestra - 3 minutes
7) Boccherini: Minuet - 4 minutes
About the International Music Institute
The International Music Institute (IMI) was founded in 1994 by the piano teacher Juli Zhu. Following excellent results in early student examinations, the institute soon became the Abu Dhabi representative of the Associated Board of the Royal Academy of Music (ABRSM). Since its foundation, the IMI has been home to thousands of young music students in Abu Dhabi, shaping music education in the United Arab Emirates' capital. In 2014, IMI organised the Abu Dhabi International Wind Band and several performances in Abu Dhabi featuring brass instruments. IMI currently has three branches in Abu Dhabi and over a thousand students, as well as active collaborations with many schools and government institutions.